Portent’s CEO, Ian Lurie went through an AWESOME webniar this week and introduced FIFTY SEO TIPS in 50 minutes (42 minutes to be more specific)
Ian Lurie’s 50 SEO tips for 2012:
Most of my blogs are less than 250 words, I had to make a exception for this post. This SEO post got close to 450 words =)
I boiled it down to ’My TOP 12′ of Ian’s 50 SEO tips below: (They are in no specic order)
1. Create a Keyword Map – Create a excel document to track the following:
- Amount of traffic keywords are bringing your website
- Prospect Keywords that can provide your site with additional traffic
- Converstion Rate
- Specific URL that get visibility on the Search Engine
- The position of the URL on the Search Engine
- The volume of traffic individual keywords gets on the Search Engine
2. Track Authority: Domain authority is more important than the PageRank. Its gives you insight and visibility on your Domain as well as your competitors domain. SEOMoz and Majestic SEO have bells and whistles that lets your track how your social media campaing is doing as well.
3. Track Linking Domains using multiple sources. (i.e. Blekko / LinkScape)
4. Check Response Codes: This is so easy and simple to do that SEO Specialists frequently forget to return a 404 error if a page in’t there and provide a 301 redirect if you want to redirect it to another page.
5. Consolidate Links: Specially on authorative & home pages. Links such as “Terms of Service” and “Pirvacy Policy” can be consolidated into one link
6. Write a Great Title Tag: Even today ‘Title Tags’ are still one of the most important OnPage SEO Factors.
7. Get set up with Google WebMaster: This will give you more visibility into how and when Google is crawling your website. In addition, Google Webmaster provides your site’s overall health and duplicate content.
8. Built a XML Sitemap – then submit it to Google Webmaster. This won’t necessary help you get indexed but it will help you diagnosis your URL’s
9. Put ‘Links’ where there matter: Don’t do a ‘SEO Footer’ and don’t stuff Links and keywords into the footer. Google & Bing both have a ‘Rational Surfer Rule’, so put links in the flow of the text.
10. Learn Canonicalization: Make sure each page of your website has a single functional url address. Use rel=canonical as a last resort.
11. Get a PageSpeed Score of 80 or higher via Google PageSpeed or Yahoo’s Y Slow. Slow websites tend to have a higher bouce rate.
12. Use HTTPS Sparingly: SSL places additional demands on servers for each users that connect to your website. As a result, the more traffic your website gets the more slower your website will be.